Telehealth: The Calm Through the Storm
We are living in a time of uncertainty. In a matter of days our kids have been pulled out of school, we have been told to work from home and childcare centres have closed. Our routines have been shattered and we are trying to find a new normal amid all the change. Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) at OCD North has also changed: to protect our community, clients and staff we are now providing our usual sessions through telehealth. It is different, but we think this shift is great for treatment.
Telehealth is individual, family and group therapy via online methods such as mobile apps and video conferencing. At OCD North we use a platform called Zoom.
In the OCD context, telehealth is a valuable tool. It allows the therapist to assess symptoms more thoroughly in the client’s home environment while also easily incorporating family and spouses – a vital component to effective treatment outcomes. Telehealth allows us to educate family members, support them in the do’s and don’ts of supporting their loved one with OCD, and provides real-time help and coaching to families. Convenience is key with telehealth too: we can meet clients in various settings to help them with exposures at no additional cost and no additional time!
Imagine going to a specialist appointment without the commute or waiting room!
Preparing for your Zoom Session
Prior to your session, we will send you an invitation to the Zoom meeting via email. Please make sure that you check your junk mail if you have not received it at least 2 hours before your scheduled session.
Your first Zoom Meeting:
We suggest getting your Zoom set up minimum 15 minutes before your first Telehealth session.
- Open the link in the invitation sent to your email.
- The link will take you to the Zoom website. Follow the instructions on Zoom’s website to get the meeting started.
- You may have to download the software OR you will be given the option to open the meeting on your browser.
- If instructed to download the app, it can take up to 10 minutes.
- When the app is downloaded or the web browser is set up, click ‘Join a Meeting’ and enter the Meeting ID as well as the Password given in your Zoom set up email.
- You will enter your session and when all parties have entered the session, you’ll see your video pop up. You will be asked to confirm the set-up of your microphone. Click ‘Use Computer’s Microphone.’
After the initial setup Zoom is ready to go and just requires the meeting ID and password.